Intrauterine insemination is one of the methods of assisted conception treatment. During IUI treatment, the selected washed out sperm will be placed into the uterus. At the ovulation time, the sperm will be placed near to the egg. Sometimes IUI treatment is combined with fertility drugs to improve the chances of conception. The main goal of IUI is to increase the sperm numbers that reach the fallopian tubes, consequently increase the fertilization chance.
IUI can be chosen as a fertility treatment for any of the following conditions :
- Mild endometriosis
- Low sperm count and mobility
- A single woman desires to conceive
- Unexplained fertility
- Issues in the cervical mucus or cervix
- Issues with ejaculation or erection
Though IUI helps fertility, the following cases :
- Women with moderate to severe endometriosis
- Women with blocked/removed fallopian tubes
- Women with pelvic infection
- Men who could not produce sperms
In the above cases, IUI is not strictly recommended
What is expected while having the procedure ?
This painless, less invasive procedure sometimes is done under “Natural cycle” which means without any medications. This is nothing but during the natural ovulation time, the sperm is placed. IUI is sometimes combined with ovarian stimulation. Some hormonal medications are used to make the ovaries to mature, release an/multiple eggs. The pregnancy chances are increased by ovulation with more than one egg.